I spend a lot of my time listening to indie music. What I also like to dabble in are remixes of said genre. Indie can be a very varied music style, and seeing what DJs can come up with the songs is a great exploration. Sometimes they can sound jilted, but sometimes someone gets it just right. So here’s my top 5 and what I’ve been listening to the most over the past year.*
5. Alt-J – Fiztpleasure (Betatraxx Remix)
I’m not a big fan of slow beats or dub-style tracks. But this remix just has everything and only adds to Alt-J’s ethereal style.
4. Of Monster and Men – Yellow Light (Cillo Remix)
I listen to a lot of Cillo’s remixes, he has such a liquid sound that makes nearly everything he touches chilled out.
3. Bombay Bicycle Club – How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep (Voyeur Remix)
This song holds a lot of memories for me, so I keep coming back to it. This remix adds a great twist to the beat.
2. R Kelly ft. The Hood Internet – I’m A Flirt (vs. Broken Social Scene Remix)
Such a weird mash-up remix of a RnB artist and a band playing in 5/8 timing. It just works, and always make me smile.
1. Of Monsters and Men – Little Talks (The Knocks Remix)
I’m a sucker for Of Monsters and Men, but that’s not why this is #1. This remix is the perfect example of how to take a song and completely rework it. Knocks changed it from a folky-ballad into a funky dance tune.
*Remix doesn’t have to be made in 2013